If you would like a sneak preview of the notices and save us paper, email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the mailing list.
Sunday 21st January
|21st January (3rd of Epiphany)
Countercultural Courage: A Time to Disobey
9.30 am Morning Prayer Veronica Johnston & Tasha Peto
11.00 am Holy Communion Dan Phillips, Graham Shaw & Tasha Peto
Readings Daniel 3:1-30
This week at Christ Church
|Sun 21st 11.00am Gems & Rocksolid Mission House
3.00pm Drop In Church
Weds 24th 9.00am Study Cafe Mission House
Fri 26th 7.30pm Student Small Group Mission House
- Engagement News: You may have already heard on the grapevine, but I have now been given permission to officially announce the engagement of the amazing Ed Newman to the beautiful Sarah Girvan! Congratulations to you both as you begin this journey together. God bless you! (Lots of love for this couple.)
- Term Cards: The new Daniel/Dethroning Mammon Term Cards have now arrived (thanks Bea), so make sure to pick up a few from the back of church and give them out to friends and family.
- Connect Groups: House Groups or Small Groups will be changing at the end of February to Connect Groups. For more details see the display board at the back of church. Your help would be greatly appreciated so please consider the questions asked on the board and provide feedback by hanging your answers on the string! The questions to consider are: What do you most appreciate about your church small group?, What stops you from making it along to a small group? and What would your dream small group look like? If you are interested in being part of a small group, please use the sign-up form and put it in the box provided.
- Study Cafe: On Wednesdays during term time, we will now be opening up the Mission House as a Study Space! Starting on Wednesday 24th January, this will be a space open to members of the Christ Church community and their friends, as somewhere to work and study, and to encourage us to keep a healthy perspective and attitude towards our work. Obviously, this will be mainly of use to students, but it will be open to everyone! There will be a silent work area downstairs, and a quiet space for work upstairs. We’ll be opening the Mission House from 9.00am – 5.00pm, with a brief moment of prayer at 9.00am, a prayer and a break at 12:30pm, and closing in prayer at 5.00pm. There is a suggested donation of 50p, for unlimited tea and coffee all day! For full details contact Ed email@example.com.
- Parenting for Faith Course: The first meeting was on Thursday 18th January at 8.00pm at 47 Rakeway, Saughall, Chester CH1 6AZ. This is a course to help encourage those of us who are parents that we can have a positive part to play in helping develop a real living faith and relationship with Jesus in our children. Please do come and give it a try. We are being slightly experimental in that the meetings will alternate between Mondays and Thursdays, and the venue may vary over time to best suit those who turn up. Future meetings are: Monday 22nd January, Thursday 1st February, Monday 5th February, Thursday 15th February, Thursday 1st March, Monday 5th March and Thursday 15th March. Any questions please contact Steve or Liz Pendlebury firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, 07962 821603 or 07962 668650.
- Student Small Group: We are starting up a Student Small Group on Fridays from 7:30 – 9.00pm in the upper room of the Mission House. The aim of this group will be to build community amongst our students, understand scripture better, a space for prayer and to support each other in our walks with faith. Rather than a CU small group, which is designed to encourage and equip students for evangelism, this group is designed to enable students to delve deeper into scripture, pursue Jesus more faithfully, and as a space for questions of faith to be discussed. This will be running from Friday 26th January throughout term time, and we will be looking at the book of Ephesians. We’d love to see you there! For more information contact Ed firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Worship @ 7 is back: Dates for your diaries: the ever-popular Worship @ 7 will return for a six-week series on Sunday 28th January.
- Alpha 2018: Beginning on Monday 29th January, the Alpha Course will run for eight weeks at Christ Church. Each Monday, 7.00pm at the Mission House. If you are interested in exploring the Christian faith and what it does/could mean to you, contact Denzel at email@example.com for details.
- Open Mic Night: Date for the diary: Saturday 3rd February 7.00pm – Christ Church Open Mic Night. Showcase your gifts and talents at this fun evening. For details and if you would like to take part, contact Dan firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christians on the Frontline: On Sundays in the summer term we are looking to interview Christians in prominent roles in different areas of work as part of our series entitled ‘Fruitfulness on the Frontline’. If you know of any who you think would be suitable, please could you let Ralph know on email@example.com.
- Postage Stamps: Please remember to save the stamps from your letters and Christmas cards, as we are still collecting used postage stamps in aid of Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research. This was started by Eric Warne and we will continue in his memory. Make sure you leave about 5mm around the stamp so as not to damage the perforation and place in the box at the back of Church. Many thanks.
- Week of Prayer for Christian Unity: This Sunday 21st January 3.30pm, Churches Together in Cheshire are holding their annual service at Chester Cathedral. The preacher is Dr John Sentamu, The Archbishop of York.
- The Light Project Open Day: The Light Project has an Open Day on Wednesday 24th January 1.00 – 4.00pm, if you are interested in studying on the ‘Foundation Degree of Arts (FdA) in Theology Mission and Evangelism’, full time or part time – a University of Chester degree run by The Light Project. You will have an Introduction to the course followed by a tour of The Light Project, meeting staff who will be available to answer questions and chat with you about what has lead you to think about studying. You may also get the opportunity to meet some current students. To book, please email Deri Fabian; we would love to meet you. firstname.lastname@example.org, 07900 816484.
- Stop, Look & Listen Days at Foxhill: These mini retreats are a chance to step back from your busyness, and listen to what God is saying to you. Each day starts with coffee at 9.30am and ends with tea at 3.30pm. £21 per person- includes lunch and refreshments. For further details and booking please contact Foxhill House: Tel: 01928 733777 or Email: email@example.com.
- West Cheshire Foodbank: Christ Church has a donation box at the back of church; please give if you can. The Foodbank general shopping list is: Tinned Meat/Fish, Tinned Vegetables, Tinned Potatoes, Tinned Tomatoes, Cuppa Soups, Pot Noodles, Instant Tinned Soup, Pasta Sauce, Instant Mashed Potato, Rice, Tinned/Instant Custard, Tinned Fruit, Biscuits, Jams and Spreads, UHT Milk, UHT Fruit Juice, Instant Coffee.
AND THE USUAL…
- Vicar, Rev Graham Shaw contact details: 57 Black Diamond Park, Newtown, Chester CH1 3ET (Graham’s day off is Friday) Phone (01244) 325302, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Vicar, Rev Ralph Kemp contact details: Phone 07762 847211, email email@example.com
- Administrator, Carys Addison: If you wish to contact the church on any administration matters or if you have any notices for inclusion in future notice sheets, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07443 584528 and leave a message. (Wednesday noon is the deadline for notices). Office days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Sunday School: During the 11.00am service, Christ Church operates two children’s groups, Gems, the younger group is aimed at ages 2-6 years (under 2’s welcome with an accompanying adult). Rocksolid, the older group is for children aged 6 plus. For babies and under 2’s, there is a purpose built Crèche area in the vestry, complete with a TV link to the service. For further details, speak to Chloë Bayfield and Beatrix Calow email@example.com
- Drop In: For information about Drop In, please contact Mattie Reilly: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D’Biz: For enquiries about our youth group, contact Eli Mitchell: email@example.com or Denzel Collins firstname.lastname@example.org.
- House Groups: Joining a Christ Church house group is a great way to enjoy mid-week fellowship and Bible study. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact our House Group Coordinator, Hannah Cox on 07837 798466 or email email@example.com
- Giving at Christ Church: Giving or tithing is an important part of being a member of a church. At Christ Church we don’t take a collection at the 11.00am service, but you can give either via the donation box at the back of church, directly via the ‘4 Ways to Give’ page of the website, or by setting up a standing order at your bank. Forms are also available on the website; go to ‘Giving’ then ‘4 Ways to Give’. www.christchurchchester.com
- Text Giving: Don’t forget you can now donate to Christ Church via your mobile. Just text CHCH33 £3 to 70070 and you will donate £3 to Christ Church.
- Expense claims and other administration paperwork: Please place in the postbox marked ‘Church Admin’ in the vestry on the wall by the safe. Alternatively, post through the Mission House letterbox.
- Email Addresses: If you stop using an email address regularly and/or have a new one that you do use most days, could you please let Carys know. Likewise if you change your address or phone number. This helps to keep the Church Contact Database up to date. Contact details you give are strictly for church use and will not be shared with any third parties.
- Church Website: Our website has a backlog of past sermons, and information about what’s going on at church on www.christchurchchester.com. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/christchurchchester), Twitter (www.twitter.com/ChChChester) and Instagram www.instagram.com/christchurchchester
- Hearing Loop: A Hearing or Induction Loop takes a sound source and transfers it directly to a hearing aid without background noise, interference or acoustical distortion. This facility is available at Christ Church, but please be aware that it is not compatible with the music microphone system at the 11 o’clock service.